Thursday 18 March 2010

Dye Tests

I have been completing numerous amounts of timed dye tests for my final collection. Timed dye tests will help me recreate the strength of colour when dyeing again. I have been mixing 1g of the desired dye to every 5litres of water, boiling the dye bath until it reaches 40 degrees then submerging the fabric in the dye bath for 2, 5, 8, 10, 15 and 20 minutes. The process is a little tedious and very testing yet the results are extremely rewarding. Dyeing can be very unpredictable however I feel it adds to the beauty of the finished design. I have a varied colour palette and it has been difficult to reach the desired colours. I plan to self dye my entire collection so it is vital that I complete all testing this early on in the brief to allow time for mistakes. Overall I am pleased with my progress so far. Below are pages from my sketchbook showing the dye tests.



No comments:

Post a Comment